OTGA/VLIZ Training Course: Research Data Management
04 - 08 December 2017
Research Data Management (RDM) covers the planning, creating, storing, organizing, accessing, sharing, describing, publishing and curating of data. RDM is mandated by many funding agencies and increasingly by governments to provide access to funded research results.
The management of data, particularly large-scale data, has many challenges, and the roles of researchers, facilities that manage marine data, repositories and libraries are coming together to provide access, preservation and archive of this data and the scholarly products associated with it.
- Understand the importance of maintaining integrity (accuracy and completeness) of data.
- Develop skills in writing and implementing a (Research) Data Management Plan, including those associated with Funding agency requirements and mandates.
- Gain knowledge of the terminology of Open Access and Open Data as it applies to Research Data Management.
- Advance knowledge in the current landscape of Research Data Management, and internationally organized efforts to develop standards and tools in this field.
- Recognize the importance of good research data management practice.
- Knowledge of the data publishing and citation process.
- Access to European marine data repositories.
- Awareness of main European based marine research projects (e.g. EMODNET, SeaDataCloud, etc)
- Overview of Research Data
- Open Data
- Research Data and publication lifecycles
- Data organisation and standards
- Data Management Plan
- Organising Research Data
- Making Data available
- Access to Research Data
- Overview of European Marine Projects
- End user point of view of the use of metadata for data integration
- First steps in data analysis
- marine researchers and postgraduate students (MSc and PhD students);
- repository managers (data and/or documents);
- marine data librarians;
- marine researchers.
NOTE: priority will be given to participants originating from Europe and / or involved in European marine research projects. UNESCO is committed to promote gender equality. Therefore, applications from women are strongly encouraged.
- Interest or new responsibilities in working with marine data and/or information
- Need to bring own laptop
- Working knowledge of English.
Selected participants will be invited to bring their own datasets.
Please fill the online application form: https://otga.wufoo.eu/forms/otga-application-form-research-data-management-q1rxi8xr13odpib/
Period for Applications: 11 August – 30 September 2017
Before starting filling the online application form, please make sure to have available the following:
- a motivation statement (text file) of maximum 300 words;
- scan of the bio page of your passport; in case you are a national of the host country a valid identification/citizen card can be used instead of the passport;
- scan of the endorsement letter (in case you are asking for funding)
- link to your profile on OceanExpert (www.oceanexpert.net); if you don't have one make sure you create one in advance.
The deadline to submit the application closes 30 September 2017. Do not leave for the last minute since the system will close automatically. In case you have any questions please contact the organisers well in advance: given time differences you may not get a reply to your questions immediately.
Both full- and co-sponsoring are available for a limited number of participants. For more detailed information on how to apply see http://classroom.oceanteacher.org/mod/page/view.php?id=5771
No tuition fee applies.
In case of questions please contact: Claudia Delgado (email@example.com), OTGA Coordinator
|FERNÁNDEZ TEJEDOR Margarita||Spain|
|FLYNN MECHAN Sarah||Ireland|
|FRANKEN Mari-Lise||South Africa|
|FUHRMANN Mona||United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland|
|HOWARTH Leigh||United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland|
|MUÑOZ MAS Cristian||Norway|
|RUIZ PARRADO Maria||Spain|
|WIJESUNDARA Anusha||Sri Lanka|
= Person has declined to participate or had their request to participate declined.
Total Invited: 27
Not confirmed: 0